PURPLE EXTREME: AWARD WINNING BICYCLE LUBRICANT - FUNCTIONS IN CONDITIONS FAR WORSE THAN YOU WOULD WANT YOUR BIKE TO EXPERIENCE
BIKE MEDICINE PURPLE EXTREME - THIXOTROPHIC BIKE CHAIN OIL LUBRICATION
- High Performance Synthetic Bicycle Lubricant for bike chains, transmissions and other moving components
- Runs Clean - does not attract mud and dirt, helping to avoid chain suck
- Extreme Pressure Film Protects Heavily Loaded Surfaces,
Preventing Metal to Metal Wear
- Long Lasting, reducing application frequency
- Originally designed for industrial drive chains running in aggressive conditions - will not wash off in rain, mud, snow or salt spray
- Thixotropic* - Does not fling off onto the bike - unlike traditional bike oil
* A Thixotropic Lubricant is one which is liquid only when between actually moving surfaces. At other times it's a solid film, so it doesn't fling off chains and rotating parts.
Press Review Extracts
What Mountain Bike? “The advanced American bike chain lubricant Purple Extreme receives a Gold Award . . . . Purple Extreme is a premium chain lube with remarkable endurance, x-country and road performance (in cables too) and has received extended testing in different UK conditions.“
Cycling Plus – Rated Purple Extreme - ’10 OUT OF 10’
Bike Shop Reports
Peak Bikes, Queens, New York “Purple Extreme is clearly above and beyond all lubes. At Peak Bike Shop in N.Y., we’ve turned out hundreds of tune-ups and overhauls using Purple Extreme on high-end road and mountain bikes, downhill, x-country, bmx, spin, touring and kids’ bikes. All our customers rave that their bikes never worked smoother or better! Of course, it always helps to sell a bottle of Purple Extreme to customers purchasing new bikes. It’s great to have them treat their bikes to the best from the very beginning.” Gerald Emerson. - many more reports on Bike Medicine’s website www.purpleextreme.com
Chain Stretch - The Inside Story
Dirt, grit and corrosion do more to ruin bike chains than anything else. Bike chains lengthen because their pins and sleeves wear. Most wear is caused by grit and particles which stick onto greasy lubricant and then enter the chain, and grind metal on the inside. As the chain stretches, wear increases on the cassette (or rear sprocket), and chainwheel teeth.
Applying lubrication to a dirty chain only serves to carry more abrasive particles into the chain bearings and accelerate the wear.
Chain wear can be substantially reduced by first removing all of the old lubricant and grit from your chain interior and from the outside. Secondly, after drying the chain, apply Purple Extreme. Once that has dried, your chain will attract little dirt, the lubricant will stay in place and not fly off onto you and your bike, and Purple Extreme provides the highest wear protection of any bicycle chain lubricant, as determined by Timken wear tests.
We recommend Golden Degreaser for cleaning your chain - available in the Cleaning Section.
Due to Purple Extreme’s Thixotrophic properties, bikes with derailleur gears are likely to run noticeably quieter, with smoother gear changes. From then on, your bike transmission will wear much less, and stay cleaner. One 120ml bottle provides nearly 7,000 miles (11,000km) of silky smooth running, corrosion and wear protection. Any tendency for chain suck caused by a mud-loaded or badly maintained chain is likely to be reduced.
Purple Extreme is a world class synthetic lubricant, developed in Houston, Texas for industrial drive trains running in hostile environments, such as on off-shore drilling rigs, which experience conditions far more extreme than you would ever want your bike to go through.
Four Steps to Purple Extreme Success:
1. Degrease and thoroughly clean your drive chain. All traces of previous lubricant and degreaser should be removed. IMPORTANT: Do not combine Purple Extreme with any other lubricant.
Apply Sparingly to the whole chain, while slowly turning the cranks
backwards. Then keep turning to allow penetration into the chain
bearings. Wipe up any excess with a cloth or paper towel. Ensure the
outside of the chain plates have a film of Purple Extreme for corrosion
3. The average road or mountain bike requires about 8ml (1/4 ounce) per application.
If possible, leave overnight or sufficient time for the carrier to
evaporate, producing a dry lubricant film. This will permit Purple
Extreme to really set onto the metal surfaces. However, you can ride
immediately if necessary
5. Always clean your drive chain before re-applying.
NB: You may be interested in Bike Medicine's useful Chain Holder in the Tools section.